Forum 360 sessions offer engaging conversations with experts covering a spectrum of timely topics including programs, systems, policy, operations, applications, platforms and more.
Treggon Owens, founding partner and CEO of Aerial MOB, provides remarks on, "Unmanned Aerial Systems"
Perspectives and Progress on Green Aviation
Monday, 5 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs, Grand Ballroom I
Leading researchers working throughout the N+1, N+2, and N+3 research programs will report on the innovations that have come from those programs.
- John Tylko, Chief Innovation Officer, Aurora Flight Sciences (Moderator)
- Fay Collier, Associate Director For Flight Strategy, Integrated Aviation Systems Program, NASA
- Mark Drela, Terry J. Kohler Professor, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Alan H. Epstein, Vice President, Technology and Environment, Pratt & Whitney
- Robert H. Liebeck, Chief Scientist, Blended-Wing-Body Airplane Program, Boeing Defense, Space, and Security
X-Planes: Discovery Through Flight
Monday, 5 June 2017, 1400-1600 hrs, Grand Ballroom I
Panelists with in-depth knowledge of the X-Plane development through NASA’s New Aviation Horizons Initiative share their experiences on what is learned through flight that wasn’t predictable on the ground. How do they differ? Are they making discoveries or merely validating what is already known? Find out during this engaging discussion.
- Starr Ginn, Deputy Aeronautics Research Director, NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center (Moderator)
- Edward L. Burnett, Senior Fellow, Modeling, Simulation, and Controls, Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Robert E. Curry, Chief Scientist, Armstrong Flight Research Center
- Bill Gray, Chief Pilot, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School
- Nils Larson, Chief, Flight Crew Branch, NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center
- Daniel Murri, NASA Technical Fellow for Flight Mechanics, NASA Langley Research Center
- Dana Purifoy, Director of Flight Operation, NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center
- Art Tomassetti, Director, F-35B U.S. Marine Corps Program Manager, Lockheed Martin Corporation
The Evolving Culture of Aviation
Tuesday, 6 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs, Grand Ballroom I
We’ve seen a dramatic increase in “new entrants” to global airspace systems. The demand for unmanned and the need to accommodate unmanned aircraft systems has gone up as commercial and recreational opportunities are enabled by rapidly evolving technology. Similarly, commercial space operations are growing, and researchers are envisioning even more disruptive technologies, such as personal air transportation solutions. Regulators and operators must perform a delicate balancing act: accommodating dramatic changes in the users and types of uses of airspace, while maintaining the safety and security of the system. Key stakeholders on both sides will discuss ho new users are adapting their solutions to meet safety and certification criteria, how our current systems and processes can be modified to more easily accommodate these rapid changes while also maintaining safety and efficiency.
- Glenn Roberts, Chief Engineer, Center for Advanced Aviation System Development, The MITRE Corporation (Moderator)
- Jonathan Evans, Co-President, Skyward, A Verizon Company
- Jesse Kallman, President, Airbus Aerial
- Van Espahbodi, Co-Founder & COO, Starburst Accelerator
- Wes Ryan, Manager, Programs & Procedures (Advanced Technology), Small Airplane Directorate, Federal Aviation Administration
Tuesday, 6 June 2017, 1400-1600 hrs, Grand Ballroom I
Innovative leaders in the field of supersonic transport discuss their non-traditional approaches for developing new products. Discover their different operational strategies, approaches for future standards, new targeted markets, as well as the regulatory issues that need to be addressed.
- Peter Coen, Project Manager, Commercial Supersonic Technology, NASA Langley Research Center (Moderator)
- Michael Buonanno, Deputy Chief Engineer, QueSST X-Plane, Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Robert Cowart, Director, Supersonic Technology Development, Gulfstream Aerospace Corporation
- Vik Kachoria, President and CEO, Spike Aerospace, Inc.
- Blake Scholl, Founder and CEO, Boom Supersonic
- Gurdip Singh Ubhi, Business Development Executive, Rolls-Royce Corporation
Wednesday, 7 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs, Grand Ballroom I
- Dale Richards, Senior Research Fellow, Human Factors, Coventry University (Moderator)
- Danette Allen, Senior Technologist (ST) for Intelligent Flight Systems, NASA
- Andrew Lacher, Senior Principal, Unmanned and Autonomous Research Strategist, The MITRE Corporation
- David Mindell, Founder and CEO, Humatics Corporation and Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Aircraft Electric Propulsion: Transforming Aviation
Wednesday, 7 June 2017, 1400-1600 hrs, Grand Ballroom I
Panelists will discuss how aircraft electric propulsion is enabling change in aviation as we know it.
- Andrew R. Gibson, President, Business Development/Aerospace Engineer, Empirical Systems Aerospace (Moderator)
- Mike Hirschberg, Executive Director, AHS International-The Vertical Flight Technical Society
- Amy Jankovsky, Subproject Manager, Hybrid Gas-Electric Propulsion, NASA Glenn Research Center
- Matt Knapp, Founder and Aero CTO, Zunum Aero
- Joseph Oldham, Director, San Joaquin Valley Clean Transportation Center, CALSTART
Internet of Things (IoT) as Applied to Aircraft Systems
Thursday, 8 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs, Grand Ballroom I
The Internet of Things has been rapidly changing the way products communicate amongst themselves and the factory in a number of industries. Using two-way autonomous machine data communications, it is now possible to connect aircraft subsystems via digital threads to regularly update digital twin models based on real-world operations both onboard and at the factory. This session will explore how aerospace manufacturers have been addressing the need for real-time data communications with their deployed products in the field as a means to rapidly update designs, AOG (Aircraft on Ground) avoidance, improved product reliability, spare parts forecasting and other MRO-related functions, and how lessons learned can be leveraged in the application of IoT to the emerging unmanned flight industry for commercial industrial and environmental markets.
- David Loda, Executive Director, NCPS Research LLC (Moderator)
- Barry Alexander, Captain, Boeing 747-800, Atlas Air Cargo
- Zhennan Cao, President, STARC Solutions Ltd., China
- Wu Hui, General Manager, (HRG) HIT Special Robot Group Co. Ltd, China
- Sam Kogan, Chief Executive Officer, Gen5 Group, LLC (Academic Scholar)
Realization of a Digital Twin & Thread
Thursday, 8 June 2017, 1400-1600 hrs, Grand Ballroom I
Explore multiple perspectives towards a digital twin of each fielded product. We will explore a growing need for a unifying language enabling the digital capture of complex system behavior, and its interactions with the environment from the physical system that span all phases of its life-cycle and multi-organizational elements.
- Melanie Lorang, Associate Technical Fellow, The Boeing Company (co-Moderator)
- Mat French, Systems Engineer & Architect, Senior Specialist, Rolls-Royce North American Technologies, Inc. (co-Moderator)
- Dave Kasik, Senior Technical Fellow, The Boeing Company
- Don A. Kinard, Senior Fellow, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics
- Edward M. Kraft, Associate Executive Director, Research, University of Tennessee Space Institute
- Steve Wellborn, Senior Technical Fellow, Rolls-Royce
- COL Tim West, Senior Materiel Leader, Test Operations Division, Arnold Engineering Development Complex (Academic Scholar)
NASA Aeronautics New Aviation Horizons
Friday, 9 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs, Grand Ballroom I
- Rich Wahls, Strategic Technical Advisor, Advanced Air Vehicles Program, Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate, NASA Langley Research Center (Moderator)
- Brent Cobleigh, Project Manager, Flight Demonstrations and Capabilities Project, Integrated Aviation Systems Program, NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center
- Peter Coen, Project Manager, Commercial Supersonic Technology, NASA Langley Research Center
- Fay Collier, Project Manager, Environmentally Responsible Aviation, NASA
- Jaiwon Shin, Associate Administrator, Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate, NASA
- Ed Waggoner, Director, Integrated Aviation Systems Program, NASA