Forum 360 sessions offer engaging conversations with experts covering a spectrum of timely topics including programs, systems, policy, operations, applications, platforms and more.
Treggon Owens, founding partner and CEO of Aerial MOB, provides remarks on, "Unmanned Aerial Systems"
Monday, 5 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs
Leading researchers working throughout the N+1, N+2, and N+3 research programs will report on the innovations that have come from those programs.
- John Tylko, Chief Innovation Officer, Aurora Flight Sciences (Moderator)
- Fay Collier, Project Manager, Environmentally Responsible Aviation, NASA Langley Research Center
- Mark Drela, Terry J. Kohler Professor, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Alan H. Epstein, Vice President, Technology and Environment, Pratt & Whitney
- Robert H. Liebeck, Engineering Manager, Boeing Defense, Space, and Security
X-Planes: Discovery Through Flight
Monday, 5 June 2016, 1400-1600 hrs
Panelists with in-depth knowledge of the X-Plane development through NASA’s New Aviation Horizons Initiative share their experiences on what is learned through flight that wasn’t predictable on the ground. How do they differ? Are they making discoveries or merely validating what is already known? Find out during this engaging discussion.
- Starr Ginn, Deputy Aeronautics Research Director, NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center (Moderator)
- Edward L. Burnett, Senior Fellow, Modeling, Simulation, and Controls, Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Robert E. Curry, Chief Scientist, NASA Dryden Flight Research Center
- Bill Gray, Chief Pilot, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School
- Nils Larson, Chief, Flight Crew Branch, NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center
- Art Tomassetti, Director, F-35B U.S. Marine Corps Program Manager, Lockheed Martin Corporation
The Evolving Culture of Aviation
Tuesday, 6 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs
We’ve seen a dramatic increase in “new entrants” to global airspace systems. The demand for unmanned and the need to accommodate unmanned aircraft systems has gone up as commercial and recreational opportunities are enabled by rapidly evolving technology. Similarly, commercial space operations are growing, and researchers are envisioning even more disruptive technologies, such as personal air transportation solutions. Regulators and operators must perform a delicate balancing act: accommodating dramatic changes in the users and types of uses of airspace, while maintaining the safety and security of the system. Key stakeholders on both sides will discuss ho new users are adapting their solutions to meet safety and certification criteria, how our current systems and processes can be modified to more easily accommodate these rapid changes while also maintaining safety and efficiency.
- Glenn Roberts, Chief Engineer, Center for Advanced Aviation System Development, The MITRE Corporation (Moderator)
- Jonathan Evans, President, Skyward, A Verizon Company
- Jesse Kallman, President, New Commercial UAS Group, Airbus
Tuesday, 6 June 2017, 1400-1600 hrs
Innovative leaders in the field of supersonic transport discuss their non-traditional approaches for developing new products. Discover their different operational strategies, approaches for future standards, new targeted markets, as well as the regulatory issues that need to be addressed.
- Peter Coen, Project Manager, Commercial Supersonic Technology, NASA Langley Research Center (Moderator)
- Michael Buonanno, Deputy Chief Engineer, QueSST X-Plane, Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Robert Cowart, Director, Supersonic Technology Development, Gulfstream Aerospace Corporation
- Vik Kachoria, President and CEO, Spike Aerospace, Inc.
- Blake Scholl, Founder and CEO, Boom Supersonic
- Gurdip-Singh Ubhi, Business Development Executive, Rolls-Royce Corporation
Wednesday, 7 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs
- Dale Richards, Senior Research Fellow, Human Factors, Coventry University (Moderator)
- Danette Allen, NASA Senior Technologist (ST) for Intelligent Flight Systems, NASA
- Andrew Lacher, Senior Principal, Unmanned and Autonomous Research Strategist, The MITRE Corporation
- David Mindell, Founder and CEO, Humatics Corporation and Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Aircraft Electric Propulsion: Transforming Aviation
Wednesday, 7 June 2017, 1400-1600 hrs
Panelists will discuss how aircraft electric propulsion is enabling change in aviation as we know it.
- Andrew R. Gibson, President, Business Development, Aerospace Engineer, Empirical Systems Aerospace (Moderator)
- Mike Hirschberg, Executive Director, AHS International-The Vertical Flight Technical Society
- Amy Jankovsky, Subproject Manager, Hybrid Gas-Electric Propulsion, NASA Glenn Research Center
- Matt Knapp, Aero Chief Engineer, Zunum Aero
- Joseph Oldham, Director, San Joaquin Valley Clean Transportation Center, CALSTART
Internet of Things (IoT) as Applied to Aircraft Systems
Thursday, 8 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs
- David Loda, Executive Director, NCPS Research LLC (Moderator)
- Sam Kogan, Chief Executive Officer, Gen4 Group, LLC
Thursday, 8 June 2017, 1400-1600 hrs
- Mat French, Systems Engineer & Architect, Senior Specialist, Rolls-Royce North American Technologies, Inc. (Moderator)
- Edward M. Kraft, Associate Executive Director, Research, University of Tennessee Space
- COL Tim West, Senior Materiel Leader, Test Operations Division, Arnold Engineering Development Complex
NASA Aeronautics New Aviation Horizons
Friday, 9 June 2017, 0930-1130 hrs
- Rich Wahls, Strategic Technical Advisor, Advanced Air Vehicles Program, Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate, NASA Langley Research Center (Moderator)
- Brent Cobleigh, Project Manager, Flight Demonstrations and Capabilities Project, Integrated Aviation Systems Program, NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center
- Peter Coen, Project Manager, Commercial Supersonic Technology, NASA Langley Research Center
- Fay Collier, Project Manager, Environmentally Responsible Aviation, NASA
- Jaiwon Shin, Associate Administrator, Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate, NASA
- Ed Waggoner, Director, Integrated Aviation Systems Program, NASA